These slides were developed for a group of Mental Health Support Teams in Northern England in July 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Anxiety: Getting the New School Year Off to a Good Start
In this session we’ll explore the common challenges and pitfalls faced by students as they encounter the pressure points that hit us all throughout our school lives. How can we help to make a new academic year a time of excitement and healthy challenge rather than a time of crippling anxiety? We’ll also consider the role of staff in supporting students and ensuring adult actions make things better rather than worse. Packed with practical ideas, this session will also feature a short train-the-trainer session which could be incorporated as part of whole school INSET.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- SLIDES | Anxiety Hacks Session for Students
- DOWNLOAD | Same vs Different – transition activity
- DOWNLOAD | Comfort Audit To Prevent Sensory Overwhelm
- PODCAST | Using a Comfort Audit to Better Meet Children’s Sensory Needs
- DOWNLOAD | Classroom Tips For Transition Chart
- DOWNLOAD | Student Task Planner
- PODCAST | How to Make Tasks feel More Manageable for Autistic/ADHD Children
- PODCAST | What is Co-Regulation and How Do I Get it Right?
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety – Feeling Safe Activity
- GUIDE | Six Simple Breathing Strategies
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety Coping Statements
- PODCAST | Using Coping Statements to Flip Negative Narratives
- VIDEO | Managing Worries using Share it, Shelf it, Shout it, Shed it
- DOWNLOAD | If…Then… Planning to Manage worries
- VIDEO | Using ‘If… then…’to reduce worry