These slides were developed for a conference in South London in June 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Meeting the Mental Health Needs of Learners with SEND
Mental health issues are highly prevalent, but under-recognised within our SEND population. We’ll consider why this is and the simple steps that we can all take to create an environment and culture which prevents rather than exacerbates mental ill health for our more vulnerable students. By the end of the session, you’ll have the tools and practical ideas you need to write and enact simple child-centred action plans for individual students as well as a wealth of ideas that could be applied universally to enable every student to thrive.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- DOWNLOAD | Simple MH Action Plan
- DOWNLOAD | Emoji Mood Tracker
- DOWNLOAD | All About Me! Resource to Support Child-Centred Meetings
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety – Feeling Safe Activity
- DOWNLOAD | Comfort Audit To Prevent Sensory Overwhelm
- DOWNLOAD | 4 Domains Of Safety Worksheet
- DOWNLOAD | Tricky Moments Plan
- PODCAST | What is Co-Regulation and How Do I Get it Right?
- PODCAST | How to Get to the Heart of Your Child’s Issues
- VIDEO | Fight, Flight, Freeze & Fawn Explained
- VIDEO | What to say and how to say it to calm an anxious child
- VIDEO | Window of Tolerance Explained (emotional regulation)