These slides were developed for a session for parents and carers at Pipers Corner Girls School in Buckinghamshire in November 2023.
Self-Harm & Eating Disorders: Who, What, Why and How to Help
At a time when self-harm and eating disorders are increasingly prevalent but still widely misunderstood, this session offers clarity and practical guidance. Drawing on both her personal and professional experience, Pooky will delve into the “who”, “what” and “why” behind self-harm and eating disorders, building your understanding, dispelling misconceptions and working with you to foster a more empathetic and supportive environment for our children.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- eBOOK: Self-Harm: How to Help Your Child
- BOOK: Can I Tell You About Self-Harm?: A Guide for Friends, Family and Professionals
- DOWNLOAD: Self-Harm Safety Plan
- GUIDE: Self-Care Ideas for Busy Parents and Carers
- GUIDE: Six Simple Breathing Strategies (Includes box breathing)
- VIDEO: The one-minute rule for crisis moments
- VIDEO: 12 ways to get through the next minute when you feel the urge to self-harm
- WEBSITE: Harmless – self-harm support and resources
- WEBSITE: Young Minds – support and information for parents
- eBOOK | How to Support Your Autistic Child with Food, Eating and Mealtimes
- DOWNLOAD: Eating Disorder Journal Prompts
- VIDEO | Eating Disorders: 10 warning signs you should look out for