These slides were developed for a keynote talk at New Beacon School’s conference in March 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Anxiety, Autism and ADHD: Practical Ideas for Understanding and Supporting
Join Pooky to explore why anxiety is such a common feature within the ADHD / Autistic communities. We’ll consider the steps we can take to prevent and manage anxiety for these groups as well as exploring a range of skills and strategies that children and young people can take to support themselves. Many of the ideas shared are also suitable for neurotypical children (or adults), so this fast-paced, resource-rich session will have something for everyone.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are the slides for the plenary session about self-care:
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- BOOK | Cards Against Anxiety
- BOOK | My Anxiety Handbook: Getting Back on Track
- PODCAST | Social Anxiety – 10 Tips for Meeting New People
- VIDEO | Anxiety – YOU need to be calm when a child is anxious – why + how
- VIDEO | Anxiety – avoiding avoidance, why & how
- PODCAST | Ideas for Avoiding Autistic Burnout
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety Exposure Ladder
- VIDEO | 5 Simple Strategies for Managing Anxiety
- VIDEO | Share it, Shelf it, Shout it, Shed it
- DOWNLOAD | Mood Changing Playlists Prompts
- DOWNLOAD | Getting to Why – Ideas for Asking and Listening
- DOWNLOAD | Self-Harm Journal Prompts
- RESOURCE | Chateez emoji cards
- BOOK | Self-Harm: How to Help Your Child: A Practical Guide for Parents
- BOOK | Parenting OCD: Down to Earth Advice From One Parent to Another
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety Coping Statements
***For more information about my speaking and training work,take a look at my speaker pack below, check out my speaking page or email my lovely agent Ellie.***