These slides were developed for the Rother Valley Schools Conference, West Sussex in October 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Getting to Why
Whether we’re seeing self-harm, eating difficulties, attendance issues or other challenges, unless we understand the drivers for a child’s behaviour, it’s hard to provide sustainable support. During this talk, Pooky will share a range of strategies for ‘getting to why’ which will instantly boost your skills and confidence in listening, connecting and getting to the heart of the issue with the children and young people in your care.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- VIDEO | 5 Phrases for Prompting Deeper Conversations
- PODCAST | How to Listen so Children will Talk
- PODCAST | How to be an Adult Who Makes Children Feel Safe
- PODCAST | Tips for Talking to Someone About Their Mental Health
- VIDEO | How to Get to the Heart of Your Child’s Issues
- BOOK | Essential Listening Skills for Busy School Staff
- DOWNLOAD | School Anxiety Journal Prompts
- DOWNLOAD | Grief and Loss Journal Prompts
For more information about my speaking and training work, visit: https://www.pookyknightsmith.com/speaking/