These slides were from a keynote presentation I gave for the National Development Team for Inclusion in May 2023.
The session explores the interplay between autism and eating disorders and how non-specialist professionals (mainly CAMHS staff) could support young people with this comorbidity. This is a particular interest of mine as I have a history of comorbid anorexia and autism and it was only following a late diagnosis of autism that I have finally been able to move into a more sustained period of recovery from anorexia. This is a young and rapidly emerging field – watch this space as we’re learning fast! In particular, keep an eye on the work we’re doing at the PEACE pathway at the South London and Maudsley which is trailblazing in this area.
If you were there, I hope these slides are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- DOWNLOAD: Eating Disorder Journal Prompts
- BOOK: Supporting Autistic People with Eating Disorders
- DOWNLOAD: Tricky Moments Plan
- DOWNLOAD: Emoji Mood Tracker
- VIDEO: Autism & Anorexia | 5 Things you need to know about the interplay
- VIDEO: Autism, Anorexia & Me – Gareth Morewood interviews Pooky
- WEBSITE: PEACE pathway – resources and guidance re autism and ED comorbidity