These slides were developed for the Devon Schools Leadership Conference in October 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Mentally Healthy Schools: A whole school approach to mental health & inclusion
Determine how well your school is currently meeting the mental health needs of students and staff and explore practical next steps to build on current strengths and address areas of challenge. Designed to act as a springboard for school improvement, this session works best when leaders come with an open mind ready to celebrate what’s working well and challenge what isn’t.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here’s the action planning template you can use to work through what we explored:
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- BOOK: The Mentally Healthy Schools Workbook
- DOWNLOAD: Domains of safety worksheet
- DOWNLOAD: Feeling safe, calm and happy worksheet
- DOWNLOAD: All about me sheet to enable child-centred meetings
- GUIDE: Getting to Why – Ideas for Asking and Listening
- VIDEO: How we talk about children really matters… here’s why
- VIDEO: ANXIETY HACK | Share it, Shelf it, Shout it, Shed it
- BITESIZE CPD: Autistic Friendly Classrooms (slides & video walkthrough)
- BITESIZE CPD: EBSA/School Anxiety – Starting the Day Right
- VIDEO: Five Steps to Being a Better Listener
- PODCAST: Enabling Children to Feel Seen and Heard