These slides were developed for the Sec Ed SEND and Inclusion conference in London in November 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Enabling Autistic Girls to Thrive in School
Step into the shoes of autistic and understand the school experience from their point of view in this session led by Pooky and her 14-year-old daughter Lyra who are both autistic. We’ll explore the day-to-day challenges of life in school, both in the classroom and beyond and consider why and how we can make simple adaptations to our daily practice, culture and environments to enable autistic girls to attend, enjoy and succeed.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- DOWNLOAD | Comfort Audit To Prevent Sensory Overwhelm
- DOWNLOAD | Mood Changing Playlists Prompts
- DOWNLOAD | Classroom Tips For Transition Chart
- DOWNLOAD | ADHD/ASC Student Class Task Planner
- DOWNLOAD | Start with Strengths Worksheet
- DOWNLOAD | Anxiety – Feeling Safe Worksheet
- PODCAST | Using a Comfort Audit to Better Meet Children’s Sensory Needs
- VIDEO | Ideas for Avoiding Autistic Burnout
- VIDEO | ADHD/AUTISM | Fidgets for the Classroom with Lyra
- 6 In 60 | Emotional Regulation at School for Autistic Students
- 6 In 60 | Neurodiverse Friendly Communication