These slides were developed for a whole staff INSET in London in September 2023.
Here’s the session overview:
Neurodiversity – Enabling Every Student to Thrive
Step into the shoes of neurodivergent pupils and understand the school experience from their point of view in this session led by Pooky and her 13-year-old daughter Lyra who are both autistic. We’ll explore the day-to-day challenges of life in school, both in the classroom and beyond and consider why and how we can make simple adaptations to our daily practice, culture and environments to enable pupils with autism to attend, enjoy and succeed.
If you were there, I hope these are a helpful aide-memoire. If not, I hope they make enough sense without me to be useful. If you’d like to download them, you can do so via this page on slideshare.
Here are some further resources you might find helpful to build on the session:
- DOWNLOAD | Comfort Audit To Prevent Sensory Overwhelm
- DOWNLOAD | Mood Changing Playlists Prompts
- DOWNLOAD | Classroom Tips For Transition Chart
- DOWNLOAD | ADHD/ASC Student Class Task Planner
- DOWNLOAD | All About Me! Resource to Support Child-Centred Meetings
- PODCAST | Using a Comfort Audit to Better Meet Children’s Sensory Needs
- PODCAST | ADHD – Ideas for Activating and Stimulating
- VIDEO | Ideas for Avoiding Autistic Burnout
- VIDEO | ADHD/AUTISM | Fidgets for the Classroom with Lyra
- 6 In 60 | Emotional Regulation at School for Autistic Students
- 6 In 60 | Neurodiverse Friendly Communication